Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Merchant Profile: Joseph's

Joseph Candioto finds it hard to believe he is going on his 48th year in the estate jewelry and antiques business.  "I had a beauty salon and I decorated it with antique mirrors, paintings, french tables and lamps and my receptionist sat behind a french desk with gold french chairs in the waiting room.  Antiquing was my hobby so I placed items around the shop.  Customers kept buying and I kept replacing and before I knew it I had a small case of jewelry that my receptionist would show.  This worked out great because it gave my receptionist something to do besides answering the phone!"
Gilt bronze candelabra with Sevres mounts, Sevres bowl with gilt mounts

From that beginning, a hobby and interest turned into a business.  Joseph moved to the 45th & State Line district 18 years ago and says he will be there until he quits.  "It's been quite a ride because I've handled treasures from all over the world.  I've met and sold to the most interesting people and, yes, even movie stars.  The stories I could tell and I have lots of them!"
South Sea pearl necklace, largest pearl 18 1/2 mm; South Sea pearl and diamond earrings

Joseph says that the business has really changed over the years.  "When I first started in business a one carat diamond ran around $300 and gold was $32 an ounce.  I tell people that in my 48 years of business I've never seen jewelry go down in price."


Diamond necklace, approx. 15 carats
"I've always tried to buy estate pieces that one doesn't see every day and to buy on the secondary market, which is below wholesale.  We all want a good deal, although good pieces are getting harder to find."
Georgian en tremblant brooch, diamonds, 10-12 carats, mounted in gold
Pictured here are some of the unique pieces in Joseph's inventory of which he is most proud.  Joseph's has a variety from an American Indian squash blossom necklace to an elegant diamond necklace.  Come by and take a look for yourself.

Joseph's
Joseph Candioto, owner
1714 W. 45th Street (in The Georgian Village)
Kansas City, MO 64111
Thurs.   10:30 - 3:30
Fri.        10:30 - 4:00
Sat.       10:30 - 4:00
816-756-5553
josephcandioto@aol.com


No comments:

Post a Comment